Tuesday, October 19, 2010

What Are Your Memories?

I always seem to miss opportunities to make memories because I'm usually too busy trying to create a place or time to make memories.

Like, I'm always saying to myself something like, "Get this over with so that I can take them to the park and play!"  or  "I can sacrifice time with them to make _________ (<---insert some crazy crafty project I said yes to do for someone there!!!), because I can just make up for it tomorrow!"  or, my favorite,  "They can get over my bad attitude!  I'm the one that is always having to make everyone happy!"

I'm referring to both my husband and my children!

First, the husband, aka my honeyman! 
Yesterday was a bit of a fright for me! 
I was volunteering at my son's school when my sister-in-law called me.
This isn't a weird thing.  We talk quite a bit.
So I answered to tell her I couldn't talk right then.
She says, "Did you hear?!  How are you feeling?!"
MY HEART IS RACING!
She continues, "Can you believe it?"
I'm like, "WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?"

Apparently an irate patient broke the glass at my husband's office.
This guy wanted drugs!
(My honeyman works at a doctor's office & is the office manager)
My honeyman ran around the corner and grabbed homeboy by the neck and belt buckle.
Pushed the guy outside.
And the guy tried to run BACK IN!
My honeyman had to grab him AGAIN and throw him out for good!

So here it is. 
What would have happened if that crazy drug hungry patient was serious about his drugs?
What if that crazy patient had all intentions of getting them any way possible?
What would the outcome have been if he was out of his mind and he had a gun?

I don't want to think about it...
because, frankly, thinking isn't the best thing I do!
Well, I started thinking...
and, frankly, it wasn't the best thing I did!

I thought about everything I have wasted. 
As in time and energy.
I felt heartbroken.
What if I hadn't had a chance to "redo" things with my honeyman?
I am always thinking (there's that word again) about doing things that I need to do now and I don't spend too much time with him. 
I'm always thinking (*ehem*) about strictly taking care of the needs of the children, aka my sweets, that I often put my honeyman hanging out in the back all alone!
I'm terrible about this.

After yesterday, I've challenged myself to put my honeyman first and focus on being his friend! 
His buddy!
His homegirl!
His ride or die chick!
I don't think he knows what a ride or die chick is!  LOL

NEXT...
I was thinking (seriously though, this word is starting to grow on me!) again!
This time about my sweets!

(It just occurred to me that my nicknames for my husband and kids are also used as references to food! Maybe that's a subconscious thing?!  Hmmm...)

I'm always rushing their tiny little selves all over to fit appropriately in my schedule!
I'm always cleaning to a fault! 
I'm always following the schedule to a fault!

My kids haven't had much time to just "hang out with mommy" at home!
I know there is a bunch of pressure on them to "run here! run there!"...
Bless them!

I'm vowing to change that as well as everything else in my crazy life!
To just hang out!
To just chill out!
To just have fun!
To enjoy this short childhood!
To enjoy this eternal marriage!
To actually make memories...
Instead of trying to make time to make memories...
Because then the memories that we could have made...
Would have just passed us by...

4 comments:

  1. glad everything worked out okay at the office...and i totally need to slow down and make "everyday memories" with my kids...like, totally. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true Jazz. What a great post. I need to slow down myself and not go so crazy. Good job to honeyman for thwarting the crackhead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved it... again!

    Sincerely,

    your BFF :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok for real I am so glad honeyman is ok!! My goodness that's scary. Things like that really put the important things in perspective.

    ReplyDelete