Wednesday, February 9, 2011

take this, kiddo...

when i found out i was pregnant with each of my babies, i started the typical dreaming about my impending motherhood...being a mom meant having a baby. having a baby meant all kinds of adorable things like onesies and strollers and gas drops. i got prepared...i bought stuff, i talked to other moms who had babies, i read stuff in all-knowing magazines. i was totally ready to be a mom to a baby.

a baby.

i forgot that babies grow into kids. kids that (sometimes) need discipline.

eek! i didn't read about the discipline stuff! i mean, time-out...sure. but i'm finding out that discipline gets bigger and much much much much more complicated with every birthday. you ever tried to sit a 10 year-old on a "naughty mat"? yeah, he totally learns his lesson :)

sigh.

so we get creative around here...

can't quit touching your sister? fine, you get to be tied together for 30 minutes.
can't think of anything nice to say? fine, you are grounded from speaking all day.
can't stop jumping on the couch? fine, you are only allowed to sit on the floor.
you wanna pick on your brother? fine, write him a compliment letter.
you wanna sneak a piece of gum? fine, you owe me a whole pack.

and wouldn't you know, those kiddos are always thinking of new ways to need discipline! they are amazing that way, those babes of mine.

got any good suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. I make mine sit down and write lines. yep sometimes 100 lines, we get our handwriting practice in, your stuck in a seat for as long as it takes you to finish, you are rewriting the same line that mom chooses. Yesterday's line was... I will stop being slothful during my responsibilities. LOL long sentence yes. Good words to review...You Betcha. It works for my family. I also make them run(or walk) the trail through the woods that Den made (We live on a HUGE hill so walking works too). Walking the dog works too. It helps burn the excess energy that they sometimes build up and I even lock the doors when it's nice so they are sure to stay outside until I feel they have burnt it all up, other wise they will sneak into the basement door when I am upstairs. If your going to argue or fight you better not be in my presence or this is what you get. Ok that's all I have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So um no ideas. Although I bought gas drops too! We'll see how long they keep my baby nice...I think your creative ideas at discipline are great. Kids (in my humble opinion;) need to know their are always consequences. Not always knowing what they are may be even more effective than knowing. Bottom line: you are your kids parents so you know what will work best for them and your family. I remember once in 3rd grade I was mean to a boy and my teachers caught me. As my punishment he was the only one I was allowed to do anything with for a week at school: he was my buddy for all group activities, I couldn't talk to anyone else or play with anyone else at recess, our desks were moved apart from the rest and pushed together, we had to sit at a table by ourselves at lunch. I tell ya what I was never mean to that boy again, and we kinda became friends even.

    ReplyDelete