Wednesday, December 1, 2010

switcheroo...

i joke a lot with my nearest and dearest friends that i am "the yes girl"...you know, when i get Align Centerasked to do something i don't know how to say no. i do it all, sometimes willingly and sometimes grudgingly...i give rides, i babysit, i make meals, i plan the entire activity, i set up alone, etc...i am "the yes girl".

i most definitely do not have this nickname at home. if you were to tell my kids that i am "the yes girl", they would hyperventilate and faint, right there on the spot. you know, just like i did when i learned that my dad was the cool guy in high school. or the first time i heard my grandma tell a dirty joke. one of those super shocking moments when everything you thought you knew about your parents get smashed to pieces and you realize that they are just people, too...because at my house, i am "the no girl". for sure.

can i wear my flip flops to build a snowman?
nope.

can i have 2 cupcakes in my lunch?
nope.

can i drive the car?
nope.

can i skip school today?
nope.

can i throw away my carrot sticks?
nope.

can i live at grandpa's house?
nope.

can i use the sharpie on the cupboards?
nope.

can i have my own room?
nope.

can i have a pet snake?
nope.

but i recently came across some parenting advice that i have given some serious thought to adopting...and it might just blow my kids' socks off...

make it a point to tell your children "yes" as often as you possibly can

hmmm...why not? i like to shake things up every now and then!

see, it made me realize that most of the time that i say "no", it's because it's just inconvenient for me or i'm not in the mood...and that doesn't count the safety stuff...i'm never in the mood for hurt or sick kids. just sayin'.

so these days, we are hearing more of this around our place...

can you rub my back until your arm goes numb, mom?
yes.

can we play for 5 more minutes and then ask for another 5?
yes.

can we make cookies and eat more of the dough than we bake?
yes.

can we play "uno" and cry about the rules?
yes.

can we read one more book, eventhough we already read 39?
yes.

can we all invite a friend over at the same time?
yes.

can i cut up paper into tiny pieces?
yes (sigh).

can i wear your least favorite shirt to the mall?
(sigh) yes.

can i sit on your lap and elbow you in the ribs?
yes.

can i help stir the lemonade, lick the spoon, and then spill it?
yes.

can you curl my hair like taylor swift?
yes.

can i always be your kid?
yes. yes, you can.

and that, my friends, is my master plan to become "the yes girl"...at home.

can i stuff marshmallows in my nose and look cute for a picture?
yes. you most definitely can!

5 comments:

  1. That is so funny. I am definately the "yes girl" too. My friend are always making fun of me because I can't say no. But I definately do not have a problem saying no to the kids. I will try to say yes more oftern thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often find myself saying no to my kids when I just don't feel like doing something and this post really made me think a lot about saying yes and to stop sweating the small stuff. Thanks! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are so cute. I think I know which child asked every question, haha, and I hope that saying yes works out. You gotta perfect this thing so you have all the answers when I call you in the next few years with a mothering crisis. Do it for posterity! Ok, you're already doing that for your kids, but do it for your little sister too :)
    I love you. You're a great mom. And I hope my kids get as lucky by the time they come along as I know your kids are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you coming to see me for the Holidays?.... yes!

    Oh, Amy I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wish I had your wisdom when raising my kids , I will forever be known as the NO mom, but then sweet repentnce, or just revenge to my kids, my Grand kids will always get the YES grandma, Im winning points you see. The YES goes for Great nieces and nephews too. Miss you so much:)

    ReplyDelete