Monday, December 6, 2010

So....

I'm guilty. I know you're wondering "of what?", or maybe some of you may be saying "of course you are", but here is the deal.... I am a Dr. Phil watcher (but that's not what I'm pleading guilty to)...actually I dvr it and then when I'm bored I go back through and watch the ones that I may be interested in. As my children and husband were all nestled in their beds the other I night I stayed up and watched the boob tube and came across this:

http://drphil.com/videos/?Url=/house/flv/9009_2.flv&background=header_drphil_video.jpg

WOW! I mean really? I'm sure you'll be taken back initially just like I was. My defense was immediately for the children, but then as I watched more I heard more in her voice than the volume of it. She wasn't beating her children or calling them nasty names. She was purely out of control with her emotion, loneliness and longing for some simplicity. She did yell way too much, but honestly I caught little glimpses of myself. How crazy, how exhausting. I don't like to yell and I don't yell most of the time...(anymore), but when I do it kind of just happens and once I get started it's hard for me to take a step back and let things cool down. As I watched this whole episode which aired on Thursday December 02, for those of you who want to go take a look, I realized just how toxic it is to yell at my children, and how unnecessary it is too. It hit me in the right spot at the right time and there were great pointers that helped me think about how I could be better. The show was actually titled " brat proof your child". Obviously I would have given it a different title...like "how to stop yelling", "how to overcome the sound of your own crazy", "how to have happier children" etc..b/c really if we are really real with ourselves...we all know that it isn't the child.

1 comment:

  1. HOW CRAZY!!!
    1st...i couldn't agree more!!
    2nd...my post tomorrow was going to be on my lack of ability to calm down when i start yelling! and how i've been so snappy lately!!
    3rd...i love you most!

    ReplyDelete