Friday, December 17, 2010

*MAKE* Your Christmas Beautiful

As I thought about gifts this year I thought of all the money that I would need to buy all the "things" that I would love to give my favorite people....but then I woke up and remembered that I DON'T HAVE THAT KIND OF MONEY! (can I get a whot! whot!...rock it your poor girl with rich taste!)

SOOOOOOO, I was on to the next best thing. Spending 1/2 that amount at the fabric and craft stores and make things myself.

Here are a few home-made gift ideas to save a buck or two and can be even more "beautiful" than that plastic wrapped, over priced toy or electronic device.

Blankets: these can be fast and super cute and there are tons of different kinds to make. I am all about the fast ones so my favorites are Rag Quilts. I like to make them with 8 inch squares out of flannel. (the image sample is done with 6 inch squares) click here for video instructions.                   (sample image below)

Rag Quilt

Tie Fleece Blanket

The next kind of easy blanket is a Tie Fleece. Take two pieces of fleece (about 2yards each) put them together with print facing out (most of the time there is not "back side") and cut about 3inch tassels all around the blanket then tie one tassel from each piece of flannel together.



personalized photo frame


Framed Photos: take your favorite photo and put it in a home-made frame! They have unfinished wood frames that can be painted with acrylic paint and embellished with glitter, beads, ribbon, puffy paint, small wooden letters, stickers, scrapbook paper and Modge Podge. (really great for Grandparents!) 





Cookies in a Jar: people always love food! Just layer the dry ingredients in a mason jar. Place a cute piece of fabric on the lid and tie the instructions for the cookies to the neck of the jar. Presto Chango you're done!

Cookies in a Jar
PJ Pants: these are my personal favorite right now! The best pattern I found is Simplicity Easy to Sew 3871 the pant style is very wide so I would recommend going down a size from what you would normally wear...but they are so easy to do and very comfortable. This is a great idea for Holiday matching PJs for the family or just some new "comfy pants" for someone on your list.       
Best PJ Pant Pattern EVER!
Purses: I love all the FREE purse patterns on All People Quilt.com Below is a photo of my favorite one....and it really is super cute and REALLY EASY, promise! Your BFF would go hog wild if you made her one!! :)
Pick -A- Pocket Purse

These are just a few of the MILLIONS of gifts that you can make for your friends and family that would be possible for you to finish in only a few hours.

2 comments:

  1. love all of them!!! can't wait to do the pj pants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Real great do-it-yourself gift ideas. Thanks Charlotte.

    ReplyDelete