Friday, December 31, 2010

the New Years Cause and Effect

At the close of every year we are taken back to all the happenings of the past year before we jump into a new one. Sometimes I don't stop to really think of the past year for what it really was...many causes with the return of many effects.

We don't always know how something will end or how words will affect someone or how even how food will "treat us" before we partake. The most we can ever do is have faith, pray for the outcome to be good, or even an intellectually stimulated guess. But really what it all comes down to is that we have very little control over the things and people around us.......or do we have all the control in the world?!

As I was watching Myth Busters with my husband we learned that when in a car that falls into a body of water there is a small window of time when you are actually able to push the car door open before the force of the water compounds to about 350lbs per square inch. (meaning you are unable to get out by opening the door...) In that situation you have no control over how quickly your car fills with water or how easily your car door will open...you can only control your reaction. So, your choice is to be alert enough to know the exact time in which to open the car door and escape OR remain calm and save all the oxygen and energy you can while waiting for your car to fill with water till the opposing pressure is equalized, thus enabling you to escape.

Pondering on that thought, I came to a realization that our time here on Earth is much like trying to escape from a sinking car. We can either panic and try to get the timing just right (which if we do not, we will pay serious consequences) OR we remain calm and trust that our gained knowledge will give us the strength we need to arise victorious.

As I look back on this past year I have seen many times of PANIC. Where the effect of my choices caused confusion, pain, sadness, and even anger.
But I have also had many times of TRUST. Times when I was blessed, felt love, freedom, and gratitude.

I am not the kind of person to wish away any of my poor choices or misjudgements because I know that they have made me and given me what I have today (even if those effects have not been pleasant). I know that we are all given the same opportunity in life to reach for something more than ourselves. And, we don't always step up to the plate. But I do hope that I am given courage to TRUST more than I PANIC and in turn, end this next year with more pleasant "effects" than the year before.

May your New Year bring you more joy and experience than the last!
to TRUST -cheers- 

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post Char. Made me think about something I read the other day about "fear". How sometimes we allow those feelings to overcome the feelings of "trust". So here is to taking more steps of faith and leaving fear behind! Love you and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete