Thursday, November 4, 2010

Tutu

I made my first tutu this year for my little princess for Halloween. It was so easy and super cute so here you go.
You will need tulle. I bought it on these rolls. They are 6 inches wide and 25 yds long. I used two rolls for the size I made. It was barely enough so if you make a bigger one you will need an extra roll. You can also buy tulle on the bolt. It is a little bit stiffer and doesn't bunch up so bad once you are done. If you buy it this way you will have to cut the strips 6 inches wide.
You will need elastic about 1 inch wide. Measure and cut it to the size you want to make. Sew the two ends together so you have a circle. I ended up cutting some off after all the tulle was on and resewing it.
Cut your tulle. I cut my strip about 21 inches long. You would need to cut them longer based on the length you want.

Then take 2 pieces of tulle put them together. Take them at the middle point.

Place on top of your elastic.

Bring the ends under the elastic and back up through your loop at the top.

Pull through.
Then pull tight. So tight that the elastic will fold almost in half.
Here is a picture of how the elastic folds. Sorry not a great picture. You have to get several on before you can get them to go really tight.
Continue around until you elastic is full.
So cute. I bought red and thought it would be so cute for Christmas. This would be a great, inexpensive Christmas present for your little princess or any little girl on your list. Sorry if the instructions are not great. Let me know if you have questions!

1 comment:

  1. i just made some similar to this...they really are soooo easy and cute!

    ReplyDelete