Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I'm reading a book...

and it's wonderful.  It's "What the Scriptures Teach Us about Raising a Child" by S. Michael Wilcox.

This is filled with knowledge and guidance for parents.  If you are not part of our faith (We belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints), we believe in looking to the scriptures for guidance.  We believe in a loving Father in Heaven that wants each of us to return to Him.  We believe that our children are "on loan" from above and that it is our responsibility to raise them according to what the Gospel teaches.  We believe that we can be eternal families after this earthly experience.

With all that being said, this book is fab!

There is a part in it that I think we can all relate to...here is a little "clip" out of the book that I felt necessary to share with you!

There is a section entitled, "HELPING THE STRUGGLING AND THE WAYWARD"...In this section he writes about Alma's pattern of correction with his sons, here it's specifically Corianton.  There are four parts that can provide a beginning for a parent to deal with children that are struggling (found in Alma 39). Here are the four parts...

1)  Show them where they have gone wrong, are mistaken, or have brought themselves to their present situation.

2)  Explain the short- and long-term consequences of their conduct.

3)  Teach them how to avoid problems in the future.  Arm them against repeated temptation.

4)  End with forgiveness and hope.

**here is the little "clip" part**

     "This ending with hope, love, confidence, and forgiveness is strongly taught in the Doctrine and Covenants.  There are times when 'reproving betimes with sharpness' is necessary (D&C 121:43).  More plainly stated, this phrase means to correct (reprove) early (betimes)- before the problem gets too big - with truth (sharpness).
      We do not reprove with anger...After the correction is given however, the Lord tells us, we must '[show] forth afterwards an increase of love toward him whom thou hast reproved, lest he esteem thee to be his enemy; that he may know that thy faithfulness is stronger than the cords of death' (D&C 121 43-44).  Alma is a prime example of these teachings."

He continues to write under a section entitled, "THERE ARE NO PERFECT PARENTS",

     "Parents are not perfect - even the best ones make mistakes when dealing with their children...We all make mistakes with our sons and daughters.  We are learning how to become parents as we teach our children how to become responsible contributing adults.  There must be forgiveness on both ends.  We cannot expect mature perfection in our children, just as they must realize they cannot expect perfection in the parenting skills of their parents.
      We have not done this before; just as we do when we are learning to ride a bicycle, we are bound to crash occasionally.  I once said to my daughter when I had made a parental blunder - which she pointed out with some eagerness - that I was grateful for her help in making me a better parent.  I hoped she would forgive me my frequent ineptitudes as she helped me learn how to be a better parent.  In return, I would forgive her errors as she learned how to master earthly maturity with its spiritual and moral independence. 
      This understanding saved us from many hurt feelings, resentments, and disappointed expectations."

I thought that was beautiful!

Every week I seriously ponder on what to blog about.  This came to mind more than once, so I hope that this is something each of us can get at least one thing out of.

I wish I had a way to get you each a copy of this book.  It's so wonderful.  I feel like even though I am a young mother I want to prepare myself for later on...but just as I typed that, it came to my mind that we must not think too much about getting ready for the future if it will take place of living in the present. 

I want their (my children) lives to be so happy.  I know the speed bumps are coming...but if we are able to look farther into the future with the ability to balance the present reality, the speed bumps will be just that...a speed bump...it won't be a huge pitfall...

If you are wondering what to get a parent on your Christmas list, I recommend this book...with my whole heart!

Until next week...
xo

2 comments:

  1. thanks, jaz, for helping me think about that!! i need to do more in the forgiveness category with my kids...asking and giving. :) love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh a need a birthday present for a friend. This sounds perfect. Thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete