Monday, April 4, 2011

YES!!!

My good friend Mandy sent me this via text this last week:

"Sometimes the best thing you can do as a mother is to remember what it was like to be a child."

What does it mean to you "to remember what it was like to be a child"?

To me it means JOY! Pure and simple joy in every moment.

It means having an idea and then doing it with no hesitation or reservation.

Like being a singing/dancing star and gathering your cousins or neighbors together and putting on a big show for everyone to see!

Or building a fort out of old sheets, boxes and long sticks, rocks, hay and anything else you can find! 

It means mud wrestling with your barbie dolls and running around in the rain and splashing through puddles!

Or walking around in  big high heels with way too much lip gloss on but feeling so VERY glamorous!

These are just a few memories that come from my childhood. As a mom I couldn't help but think about them as this quote kept entering into my mind. I then thought..."how can I as a mom help my children to be all that they can dream up as a child?"

Well, the same day after Mandy sent me this text I went to my son's book fair at school and came across this adorable book:


Adorable read by Amy Krouse Rosenthal & Tom Lichtenheld
 This book was the answer to my previous question. I can say "YES" more! So as we went about our weekend I found myself consciously thinking "how can I say YES instead of no, maybe, next time etc...?"

This doesn't mean I allowed my children to do whatever whenever. I just simply allowed their creativity room to grow!

"Mom can we play in the boxes?"....Sure

"Mom, wanna play hide and seek?"...Absolutely!

"Mom, can we have another Popsicle?"...Yep

"Mom can I have spiky hair?"...Sounds awesome!

Do you see how saying YES is more fun for all of us?!!

3 comments:

  1. Will have to get this book. I have been trying to say yes more lately as well. Starting to realize life is to short and they are only kids for a while. Growing up way to fast :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i always say "yes" when my kids want to take a nap, ask for another helping of vegetables, want to make their bed, or want to play with each other. i'm nice like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Uncle told me that the key to successful children was to say YES as MUCH as you POSSIBLY can...and RARELY say no!!! His children are mostly grown and are pretty amazing...so, it probably works!!

    YES! YES! YES!

    ReplyDelete