Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Secrets of Being a Good Mommy {part 3}

Last, but certainly not least...
{part 3} of "Secrets of Being a Good Mommy"...
If you want to read {part 1} just click here!
If you want to read {part 2} just click here!

As you all know I don't want to  paraphrase what these lovely mothers had to say... 
I hope you enjoy this as much as I have!

***********************************************************
"What's the secret to being a good mommy?"

Here's what lovely mommy #3's response was:

"The poem (especially the last verse) that I used to read so often is this:


Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
Sew on a button and butter the bread.

Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I've grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.

Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo

The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo
Look! Aren't his eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullabye, rockaby lullabye loo.

The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
But children grow up as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

-Ruth Hulburt Hamilton

This has been my philosophy - always make time for your family.  THe rest of the world will spin on by - and there are always many good things that can take away from your children far too often.  My husband and I decided we would be satisfied with less material things and swap those things with Mommy-time.  Even though I remember the times I took the sofa cushions off to find loose change to by mild (did NOT enjoy those days), I remember with much satisfaction the hours of coloring, learning to write numbers and letters, sewing doll clothes, and such with a house full of happy children.

It's really a state of mind - let me give you an example.  When one of daughters was only 3 months old, I had a kidney stone and had to be hospitalized for a few days.  I was nursing my little baby, my other daughter was 20 months old, another was 3, and another daughter was 4.  I was so sad - and knew that I had very little to offer the Lord as far as what I would do or give Him if I could just get better and return to my little home.  My husband and I had very little materially, but I remembered that the Lord simply asks for a broken heart and a contrite spirit - I had both of these.

So I made the Lord a promise - rather a covenant.  I told Him that if I could get better and go home, I would never, ever, again watch a soap opera on TV.  Seems like a silly thing to covenant - but I knew I could be a better mother if I was not watching such things as soaps in my home.  I also promised that I would never, ever, again complain about sweeping my kitchen floor, or washing dishes.  NEVER.

Now, because I decided to change my state of mind about two rather mundane things, I have been able to keep these promises to the Lord.  I have never again watched a soap, and I have never again complained about housework.  NEVER!

In return, the Lord has blessed me so abundantly - well, you know.  The Lord is never in our debt - He blesses us for each small sacrifice, for each righteous decision.

Mercy - that was more than I intended to write, Jaz!  But I have really enjoyed reflecting for a few minutes.  I've had my daughter's children for a few days while that are in DC, so my house looks unusually disheveled this morning!  I think I'll go turn on some pretty music and wash a few more dishes.  But then again, if my grandson wants to go upstairs and play a game of boxing on the Wii, well, that might take priority!!

I love you - I love that you are trying with all of you might to be a wife and mother.  Thanks for giving me an opportunity to reflect.  I've got a big smile on my face.

***********************************************************
That was worth the read, wasn't it?

I know being as fabulous as this mommy is a rare thing...but wouldn't we all be the better if we just tried?

I wonder what her children have to say about her?  I'm sure they sing her praises!
I've heard her husband refer to her as "Mother Theresa" on more than one occasion... 
She is what I would like to be kind of like as I grow in this magnificent calling as a mother!

I love how she kept her promises!

I am a lucky lady to even know her!
I hope you all enjoyed what these wonderful mothers had to say.
Their advice is priceless and can help us grow in motherhood to be the mothers we each strive to be!

Till next week...

1 comment:

  1. I loved this post! This woman sounds like she has a huge, soft, loving heart. I wonder if I'm brave enough to make a covenant like that?

    ReplyDelete