Friday, June 17, 2011

Remembering the Past

As I was listening to NPR the other day one of the reporters was doing an expose on triggers of remembrance. I felt much of the imagery push me back through much of my past dropping me off along the way at many of my favorite moments. Ultimately, I felt a little swept off my feet.

    *Have you ever looked through old photographs or found an old T-shirt you use to wear in High School? *Have you heard a song playing or taken in a deep breath of a awesome familiar smell? *Or even just looking at one of your kids reminds you of how old they have become?

Sometimes the past is difficult, and even a bit painful to remember. At times it is because it was dark and lonely and hard, or it was beautiful and funny and a once in a lifetime moment! No matter how it felt then...it will always make you cry now. 

I recently thought back to an important time in my life when I served a mission for the LDS Church in Ecuador almost 10 years ago now. And every time I reach back to that time....it is like it was yesterday! I can hear the sounds and smell the smells...

I remember the first family I taught who lived in a cane shack on stilts.

They were so humble and unaware of the huge world around them and they were even less aware of all the things they DIDN'T have!

Yet, they were grateful for every morsel of food and every loving embrace and every cheerful smile.

 I also remember....
Being the tallest person, everywhere
(except when we were around other American Elders)


And the most sweetest women I ever met. One (left) with such a sweet spirit that she walked 3 block in cold rain to fetch water and matches just to make me a warm drink. The other (right), her mother, who had lost one leg to a simple illness and prayed for the missionaries to come every Sunday to read to her from the scriptures since her and her daughter were illiterate.

And then...

...my final thought rested upon my favorite companion that became one of my most dear friends.

There is nothing I could say that would help anyone understand the love that I have for her.

Her heart is so pure, her conviction is so true, and her love was so genuine...

The outfit she is wearing in this photo may seem strange but it is her native dress...she is a full blooded Otavalo Indian (Native Ecuadorian). Her people have been blessed for hundreds of years with miracles and witnesses of God.



So, you can see that Remembering this Past is not done lightly, or quickly. Parts are painful and parts are extremely joyous, yet as my tears flow for each part, I am glad they came and I pray they will stay forever in my heart.


*keep your memories close to your heart and remember to make room for new ones*


1 comment: