Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Secrets of Being a Good Mommy {part 1}

So I asked 3 of the most lovely mothers I know a question...
It was simply, "What's the secret to being a good mommy?"...

Now, there are SO many lovely mothers I know!  Too many to ask...
The reason I asked these particular lovely mother was because all of their children are grown!
All of their children are just as lovely as their mothers...so their mothers must have done something right!  <3  

I am going to give each of their responses their own day...
Each gave such beautiful answers and I am so grateful to them for taking the time to answer the question!  I love you three women with all my heart!

And I thought over and over about saying what they said in my own words...but decided against that!  You should hear straight from them!  The responses are just TOO BEAUTIFUL!

***********************************************************

"What's the secret to being a good mommy?"

Lovely mommy #1's response:


"Thank you for asking me to comment on this...not sure I am really qualified but I will share a few thoughts.


1) Remember who your children are...remember we admire in adults what we can't stand in children.  They come to us with amazing personalities and each one is so different.  We need to learn to see, love and appreciate each child and nurture their tremendous potential.


2) Take time with your children...nothing will make up for the time you did not spend with them. Time spent developing talents, really listening to them, not judging, playing and laughing will never be regretted.  Time spent away from our children chasing after selfish desires will always be regretted.  


3) Never miss prayers, scripture study, and FHE (Family Home Evening)...the very fabric of our families testimonies.  These times should be regarded as sacred and essential to the entire families welfare!


Anyway...just a few quick thoughts..."

***********************************************************

How beautiful was that, ladies?!  

I particularly took some time to ponder, "we admire in adults what we can't stand in children"...
What does that really mean?  Maybe it's something different for each of us...personally...it was about how I look at my children's behavior.  I love a girlfriend that will just sit and talk with me!  Absolutely love it!  Sometimes when my kids want to talk to me it drives me crazy and I tell them to be quiet...  I love a girlfriend that will tell me the truth and help me be a better mommy!  But when my children correct me I snap at them and tell them how disrespectful they're being...  

I've decided I'm going to admire those qualities in my own sweet children!  I LOVE THEM!

I also have been taking extra time to let the advice "nothing will make up for time you did not spend with them...time spent away from our children chasing after selfish desires will always be regretted..."...  I don't want to regret any time away from my children.  I want to appreciate each mommy moment with my children even during hectic times!  

I can 2nd her advice to never miss prayers, scripture study, and FHE!  Our family is just not "on track" the days we miss any of those!  I've seen and felt how much we need those in our lives to bond as a family and grow individually!  And we have been told so many times that our children may not remember exactly what was said or taught...but they will always remember the spirit and feelings they've had!  What a sweet blessing...

Stay tuned for lovely mommy #2's response next Tuesday!!!  =)

2 comments:

  1. I love this Jazz! What great advice. Looking forward to next week:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can hardly wait to see parts 2 & 3!!! I loved it and it was just what I needed today!

    ReplyDelete