Friday, May 6, 2011

An Important Lesson

With Mother's Day coming up I know that we all get caught up in things we want and how we want/should be treated. But I ask you to take a step back and think about what your influence is as a mother and wife.
As I stopped to look at my family dynamics I noticed that I have more times when I think that I just need to be more kind and think more about how my actions effect our family.....especially with my husband and helping he to be the Dad that he wants to be.
So, in my thought a friend of mine happened to read me this quote yesterday that fit like a glove!


"Once I learned an important lesson from my wife. I traveled extensively in my profession. I had been gone almost two weeks and returned home one Saturday morning. I had four hours before I needed to attend another meeting. I noticed that our little washing machine had broken down and my wife was washing the clothes by hand. I began to fix the machine.

Jeanene came by and said, “Rich, what are you doing?”

I said, “I’m repairing the washing machine so you don’t have to do this by hand.”

She said, “No. Go play with the children.”
I said, “I can play with the children anytime. I want to help you.”

Then she said, “Richard, please go play with the children.”

When she spoke to me that authoritatively, I obeyed.

I had a marvelous time with our children. We chased each other around and rolled in the fall leaves. Later I went to my meeting. I probably would have forgotten that experience were it not for the lesson that she wanted me to learn.

The next morning about 4:00 a.m., I was awakened as I felt two little arms around my neck, a kiss on the cheek, and these words whispered in my ear, which I will never forget: “Dad, I love you. You are my best friend.”

If you are having that kind of experience in your family, you are having one of the supernal joys of life."


As I wiped away the tears thinking about how much I would love to see my husband and son playing on Mother's Day and building a strong loving relationship all because I was willing to serve them....that would be an awesome Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment