Friday, November 11, 2011

Inspirational Time Out

Last weekend I took some time off with a friend of mine to go to Time Out for Women. We had a great time without kids or husbands or work of any kind!

We had a blast in out plush hotel room and got to eat at Joe's Crab Shack...and take our time!!!! (when I take my 2yr old out to eat, I feel like the faster I eat the less crazy he will get)

But the best part was listening to the speakers and hearing the inspiring music.
One of my favorite speakers was Emily Watts (author of many books like Being the Mom).
She gave us a few tips on How to be a Better Mom and Wife and Friend:

    *Develop a Thick Skin - don't take things so personally, you will get hurt less and understand where people are coming from more...this also allows you to have a more Christ like view of others.

    *Expect Hard Things - especially from your kids! if you expect more out of others then they will strive to achieve more. "The path to happiness is paved with whining." So, let then whine...

    *Create Happy Traditions - make small, simple, inexpensive and non-time consuming traditions that add memories and joy to your family. (like singing a song before bed, having personal time with each kid once a month, or even a family pizza night) Simple pleasures make a house a home!

    *Think of Yourself as a Person! - if you only feed yourself your kids breakfast leftovers, or never treat yourself to a new outfit...what kind of grouchy, malnourished, crazy woman will everyone have to put up with??? Treat yourself as you want to treat others! "Your family deserves a Mom who is a person!"

    *Catch everyone doing something RIGHT - this goes for the kids, your husband, your friends, and even yourself! We go around all day long saying 'No' and correcting others actions and our own. Why not take some time out to notice when the kids are doing something good, and praise them for it. Tell your husband how much you appreciated him dressing the kids for school in the morning (even though no one had matching outfits and half of your daughters hair is filled with 10,000 hair bows).

I was really happy when she told us about all these simple and yet inspiring ideas to help me be a better woman. I tried out just a few of these after my 'Time Out' weekend and I felt the spirit so much stronger in my home. I felt more blessed to have a great husband and felt that I had a bit more patients for my active son.

The only person I missed was Hilary Weeks...but I found her on YouTube:



I am go grateful for so many wonderful blessings in my life and with my family. I hope that you can feel how much Heavenly Father has blessed you in your life as you strive to find more joy in each moment especially as we get close to the holiday season!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing Char! Sounds like it was a time out worth taking!

    ReplyDelete